Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Why Voice Training Is Essential for Singers: What the Stars Have to Say (Part 3)

In my most recent article, I revealed how Stevie Wonder had gone in for corrective surgery in the 1960s, after which, on being discharged from hospital, he’d hired one of Hollywood’s most sought after vocal coaches, Seth Riggs. Stevie Wonder’s bad vocal habits had caught up with him, and he was forced to find a more corrective way to sing. He says that he still experiments with many different styles and qualities, and the muscular freedom to do that is the result of his work with the trainer. He also admits to slipping up occasionally, but his vocal coach is always there to rebalance his voice. Such a story not only sends shockwaves through many an aspiring singer, it makes one realize that there’s quite a lot at stake for busy singers and that, vocal training is the one thing that can help you maintain and protect your voice from falling apart. In part three of my series Why Voice Training Is Essential for Singers: What the Stars Have to Say, I reveal more celebrated artists that have positive things to say about how vocal training made a world of difference to their careers.

When Tevin Campbell was 13 years old, Quincy Jones suggested he works with a vocal coach while he made his change from “boy soprano” to adult voice. Most people advised him against studying voice during this difficult period. However, Tevin says, “my coach not only knew how to balance my unruly voice but, when I came out on the other side at 15 years old, my voice was easy and evenly together. What used to be the boy soprano was now a man’s connected head voice with no strain.”

Maurice White, from legendary 70s band Earth, Wind and Fire… whom I had the opportunity of seeing perform live in concert at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis in the 1980s, had this to say: “With all the activities one must weigh and balance in our wildly fluctuating business, there is never enough time to get your voice in shape. Singing seems to be the last thing to consider, when that recording gets started. It shouldn’t be that way, but…I’ve always been able to maintain confidence that I can pull it together with my own personal application of a practical vocal warm-up.” And he concluded that he had his vocal coach to thank for that knowhow.

If you want to eliminate all of the strain when you sing, consider taking my 10-hour speech level singing course. It’ll help you manage your voice better to give you the freedom to sing with no pain, no strain and no damage to your voice. For more information on how to get started and what to expect from my comprehensive course, click here!

If you want to improve your singing voice, read my Vocal Training Product Review for Home Learning article in which I recommend vocal training programs that cover the entire spectrum in voice training to include: Pitch, Tone, Vocal Agility, Head Voice, High Notes, the Mix, Vibrato and MORE. Click Here!

You are the instrument, learn to sing like a pro!

JOETT

Vocal Coach & Author "Letters from a Vocal Coach"
Private Singing Lessons
BUY Online Singing Lessons Course

No comments:

Post a Comment