Sunday, November 20, 2011

Boogie Retro Radio Show Snippets November 20th

80s Groove was born just as disco was on the way out. The beats were slowed down and the basslines cranked up, giving us dancefloor anthems that still resound today. It was one of the most funky and feel-good periods of club music, producing classics from the likes of Chaka Khan, Jocelyn Brown, Sister Sledge, The Jacksons, Luther Vandross and Earth Wind & Fire.

There were the artists that were feeling the love too, with classic slow jams from Marvin Gaye, Imagination, Jean Carn, The Jones Girls and The Isley Brothers. Back in the main room the birth of electro was being tried and tested and ultimatley given a massive tick with Indeep, Freez, Herbie Hancock, Shannon, D Train and Lisa Lisa.

Jazz funk stepped up via the soul weekender scene in some of the cooler resorts around the UK's east coast, and yet more anthems were appropriated by DJs of the day thanks to Tom Browne, Dexter Wansel and Keni Burke.

In today's show, we'll kick off with tracks from the 70s in the first segment and into 80s Groove in the second half of the program. Up to the very last minute--yesterday evening, I was quite undecided as to what I was going to play for you today. I have so much music...and I only have 2 hours on the show, so you can imagine. I'm sure you'll enjoy the music today, it will be an outright corker. Here's what to expect:

GIORGIO -- FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (R&B #2/ UK #16) [1977]
Giorgio Moroder: After producing "I Feel Love" for Donna Summer, I wanted to do my own song with me as the singer in the same style and technology with that synth bassline. I was quite happy with it but it did much better in Europe than the States.

CHIC -- DANCE DANCE DANCE (YOWSAH YOWSAH YOWSAH) (R&B #6/Pop #6/Disco #1/UK #6) [1977]

Alfa Anderson (Vocalist, classic-era Chic): There are so many favorites in this collection -- it could aptly be named the soundtrack of my life. But 'Dance, Dance, Dance' really was the penultimate change agent in my life. That's one of the first songs I sang background on for Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards. I remember the session like it was yesterday. I walked into the studio with Luther Vandross and David Lasley not expecting to like what I heard. Boy, was I wrong. I was immediately captivated by the catchy lyrics, driving bass and rhythmic guitar licks. And wonder of wonders, I loved the background parts. Listening today, it stands the test of time. Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah!

Jody Watley: Chic are the best dance/pop/funk band of the era for me. Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards were the best.

Daryl Easlea (Music journalist & author of 'Chic: Everybody dance -- The Politics Of Disco'): In the year that Summer and Moroder were embracing the future, Chic were celebrating its past. Although not as lauded as "I Feel Live" this track is a groundbreaking record: its repetition, irony and detachment set it apart from its contemporaries. Its gimmick, the 'Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah' refrain, was taken from the 1930s Depression-era dance marathons where dancers would stay on the floor until near death to win a meagre sum of money. It showed how bittersweet Nile Rodgers as a lyricist could be.

GRACE JONES -- I NEED A MAN (POP #83/ DISCO #1) [1976]

Tom Moulton: As for Grace Jones, it was like watching someone grow up. She was determined to make it and nothing would stand in her way (just like the song says). She continued to improve as a singer and the attitude right along with it. I pushed her continually to make her sing better and I felt my ass was on the line as a producer to come up with a production I could be proud of.

Mr Pinks: Before working with Sly and Robbie, Grace Jones was a disco diva. With Tom Moulton on production duties, her debut album 'Portfolio' was a sure fire hit. The album is choc-full of classics including 'La Vie En Rose' and 'I Need A Man'. The subject matter of the latter perfectly matched her vampish man-eater character. Disco was meant to be fun and with Grace it was certainly that...and more!

There's more on the show. Tune in to Times 100.5 FM.

JOETT

No comments:

Post a Comment